Like this page!

04 February, 2013

thirty years....

Thirty years in Chicago that blue line came to know my name. Lake Shore Drive spelled more ways to have fun than the Webster’s dictionary. The magnificent mile would smile with the goblins and the lions that lined the buildings along her magnificent street. Your parks and your lake took my insides wrapped them around each other spat them out and then I felt alive again. The sunrise over your lake was a sight that few get to witness. It may look like an ocean, and it does, but the sound of tide coming in was and is relaxing to say the least. The colors that pop when that sun rises over your horizon dances with each other to the beat of your own heart if you listen close enough. I’ve never truly been wowed by you Chicago until I left you. I never thought I would miss you but I do. You have a way about you like a beautiful woman with curvy hips and when she dances she makes you lose track of self. You’ve got a way about you Chi-town and you’ll be near to my heart, but the time for moving has come and gone starting a new… Thirty years of slow growth has brought me to a place that is worth more than these eyes can see, more than these words can bleed, more than these ears can feel through the sounds that pound like conga drums. Cincinnati you’ve brought to me, home. Your sideways streets that pour melodies from the hills that roll up and down when you are cruising along Cleves Warsaw or the ferry. I might have been lost in a sea of loneliness, but now it’s too hard to be lonely when you have all this scenery surrounding you. I’ve seen your sunrise over the hills by your university and it set me aflame with words and melodic beats stuck in my head that need to be released. The river so easy breaks my heart when I see her so dirty, lifts me up when I see her in those quiet mornings and evenings. She’s got a way of being patient with you. She gives you time to sort things out. Nothing is fast paced we take our time. You have to have a sense of urgency, but at the same time just relax you’ll get there is what she says to me when I’m awake or asleep. The people here I adore. They are all different in so many ways, but they do have something in common, patience. Sure you have people that want things done now, but that is any town. Here however, there is no rush. The hustle and bustle of rubber to pavement is more for fun than it is to get somewhere. The hustle of life’s busy race is a nowhere place they get more out of life with the less that they worry. Yes it’s true we all have stresses, we all have worry, but here maybe it’s more held in. The looks and the handshakes make us all feel new when we get together at the Crow’s Nest Saloon. I’ve never meant no harm or foul, I’ve meant to be swallowed up by these experiences that all become new each time I see the lights on the marquee. Thirty years man and here I am enjoying each day that comes to pass my way. Each new adventure that falls upon my broad shoulders brings joy and wonder of what else could be out there. Thirty years and now I call Cincinnati my home. Been calling it that for a long time and when you finally get the balls to take a risk it’s one of the most fulfilling feelings that I could have. People come and go they find new things around different corners of the street, their town, their world, but there’s something about leaving what you knew was so true that lights a fire deep inside. I love this place. I love this race. I love the looks on people’s face. The Charlene at the UDF that always greets you in the morning with “morning honey” or “is that all you need baby?” makes me feel warm inside. Has me thinking, just simply has me thinking. I could get lost for days on this train that has come my way. She spells her name to me in the sky as the clouds fill my mind. She’s nervous and I can tell something’s been bugging her and she can’t find the words. Wish I could grab her all up whisper to her softly in her ear that it’s okay dear. We could get lost from all this mess that’s been dug up. We could spread our wings and fly away and take me away from me. Here we go again the same old lines and the same old dance. The same lies been played so many different times. I’m leaning on you for some truth, for some rhyme or reason for the meaning that’s been lost in this dry and crazy wind. Been getting sidetracked been wanting you more than you could ever know. The sing songy sway to the rock in your voice brings me to my knees. The smile amongst these old and ragged trees calms my heart and eases my pain. You’re like a soothing rain that’s brought the light through the grey clouds to shine upon my weary soul. That might be a little too much but it’s the truth. That might be more than should be said but when you feel something true the least you should do is say it and say it loud for all the world to hear. There’s no rhyme there’s no reason to the way you’ve moved me. This train that has rattled and hummed it’s way to my side has frayed knots in my stomach, has calmed the bees that bother my insides. I’m just a road through your streets, maybe better just a crack in your many sidewalks that bleeds with passion and love for all souls, all beings, all people that walk the streets with heavy hearts and worn out eyes. This could go on and on and it probably will. When you feel something deep to hold back would only make the feeling stronger and more alive. The thoughts that rage in my head make sleep a pointless act. I lay awake at night with dreams that pound my brain like that freight train blowing his horn all through the morn. I like the exhaustion you sleep too long you will miss out on something wonderful. I like the mornings here calm and quiet. Sometimes the fog rolls in and the hills and trees peak there tops out just enough to say good morning, and what a great feeling it is. I could get lost here in all these streets and hills, but somehow I always find my way back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment